- Define, in your own words, the printmaking terms.
- Find examples on the Internet to represent each of those terms.
- Use your graphite, eraser, eraser putty and blending stub to sketch spheres using the following techniques: hatching and cross hatching, blending, rendering, squiggly lines and cross contour lines. (Please scan your sketches and upload them to your blog.)
- Watch the prescribed Adobe Illustrator video on Lynda.com and complete the exercise files.
- Find a poem that inspires you. Follow the exercise in the lesson above and illustrate your poem.
1 .& 2.
Printing methods without use of acid bath:
- Wood engraving
The artist cuts image out in wood, covers it with ink and prints the image on paper by hand or with a press.
The artist cuts image out in linoleum, covers it with ink and prints the image on paper by hand or with a press.
The artist scratches image out in a soft metal plate (it then gets polished and smoothed – mezzotint* ), covers it with ink and prints the image on paper by hand or with a press.
*Mezzotint is one of the drypoint method.
Printing methods which use acid bath:
- Etching – aquaforte
The artist applies a thin layer of wax on cooper or zinc plate and draws an image by scratching it away. Once finished, the plate is placed into an acid bath. to eat away exposed metal. It then is covered with ink and printed off on paper by a press. Aquatint is a variant of etching.
The artist cuts image out in the metal plate, covers it with ink and prints the image on paper.
The artist draws an image with wax on a stone plate, covers it with ink and prints the negative image on paper.
Other printing methods:
The artist makes a negative film of the image, uses special emulsion and light to make a frame. Then, ink is applied on the frame and pushed through the screen by a rubber squeegee, into paper, right into a fabric (my sister had this kind of company) or on polyester sheet (like in printing company where I work – heat transfers production).
The artist draws an image with ink on a glass plate and prints the image off on paper without press.
- Digital printing
Nowadays is the most common kind of print. Depending on which kind of printer one have, the quality and possibilities of printed material will differ.
4. Done. Some screenshoots below.
5. I chose a poem from my favorite novel – Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.