- Set up a meeting with a business owner and ask him/her what he/she would want from a website. Also ask him/her what the business strategy is and how the website would fit into it.
- Then write a detailed document about this.
- I would like you to use the information from this document and create a website architecture.
- Now let’s focus on the web design strategy. Your document should justify all the major decisions you make – from the domain registration, hosting, design and target audience through to what you decide in terms of programming.
I want you to take on a client. I then need you to have a meeting with your client and create a very detailed brief. This brief should contain all the information that will be needed to achieve the client’s requirements.
What is the client’s service/product?
Fotograf Christian Blom AS is a company which offer photography services for both private ( portrait photography, family, new born, weddings) clients and companies (employees portraits, school photography, commercials, product photography, events).
What are their requirements?
general presentation of all available services. Divide the company into three main departments: private clients, companies, school photography.
- Design an A4 poster for a humanitarian cause you feel passionate about. For example, creating awareness and a call for action against human trafficking. You must apply pastiche to your design. Use a style of propaganda used during the Modernism era and create your own, unique design in a contemporary context.
- Start by creating at least 5 thumbnails for your design. These thumbnails should be handed in with your assignment.
- Write a rationale or explanation for your poster of at least 350 words. Why it is necessary to create awareness of the humanitarian cause?
- Give an explanation for your creative execution, mention the use of colour and graphics as well as typography.
- Give examples of the designs you used as inspiration and why it is applicable to your design.
Hand in your designs as PDF documents. You may use any medium for this. Hand in PDFs of your rationale and thumbnails as well.
I choose to make a poster about Cervical cancer. It is important to spread awareness about it. In many countries mandatory check to women are too seldom. Women do not think about it, as cancer gives no symptoms. They don’t check themselves because they don’t think about it, they don’t have time or they are just uncomfortable. It is a pity, as many young women and girls can have it. Cervical cancer is the fourth most common cancer in women, and the seventh overall, with an estimated 528,000 new cases in 2012. It is estimated that 4,210 deaths from the disease will occur this year.
Consider what we have discussed regarding Late Modernism in the USA and The Swiss International Style. Do additional research on the Swiss International Style – it may be a good idea to study some of the known designers of this style and period. As a guide, visit designishistory.com, which gives a brief outline of specific designers and styles – take note that here the Swiss International Style is listed under 1940, which is not incorrect as the style was developed in the late 40s, but flourished in the 50s. Also use additional reference sources of your own and do a write-up of the following:
- Research on the Swiss International Style
- Influences on Swiss International Style
- Analysis of the Swiss International Style
Swiss International Style also known as International Typographic Style, was a graphic design style with roots in Russia, Germany and Netherlands in the 1920s. It was developed in Switzerland in late 40s, with its best years in 50s. Led by designers Josef Müller-Brockmann at the Zurich School of Arts and Krafts and Armin Hofmann at the Basel School of Design. Clean, simple and objective design, without any unnecessary decorative elements, and flush left, ragged right text – were main characteristics of this style. All designs were based on grid, what helps to keep them clean and interesting at the same time. Different combinations, diagonal and asymmetrical grids, made the viewer interested. Use of white space was also important to maintenance cleanness. Text was written in sans-serif fonts, this is when Akzidenz Grotesk, Univers and Neue Haas Grotesk (Helvetica) were created. Another important element of Swiss International Style was use of photography. Often black and white, or red and white photos were main elements of the design. Their role was to illustrate a problem objectively, that is why photography worked much better than any illustration. Strong feature of this style was bold use of color. Often colors from opposite site of the color wheel, which usually would not be use together. Colors that overlap each other, creating new colors. Designers were not afraid to use colors in order to create very interesting work. Designers role were not to be artist, but rather objective messenger who deliver the important information to the society. The best medium to deliver the informations were posters.